Umvoti Municipality would like to share a few tips on road safety:-
- Drive a roadworthy vehicle
- Check the windscreen, wipers and water in the windscreen wiper bottle
- Be prepared for bad weather
- Following distance should be increased in bad weather
- Be patient! Rather slow down!
- If you can’t see – Don’t drive
- Remember that puddles can hide dangerous potholes
- Use your headlights and beware of other drivers
Remember to always be careful when driving on the road, especially if you have children who are passengers.
- Pay attention to what is around you.
- When crossing the street look over your shoulder as well as both ways.
- Wear brightly coloured clothes
- Make sure you are seen by drivers.
- Be aware of turning vehicles.
- Don’t enter the intersection until you are ready to cross.
- Always wear bright or reflective clothing at night.
- And be careful not to text and walk, it could be dangerous!
- Face traffic when walking – Walk against traffic, not with it.
- Use your head, wear a helmet!
- Wear bright or reflective clothing to be seen.
- Use headlights and reflectors to be visible at night.
- Be predictable in your movements. Don’t make cars guess.
- Signal before you change directions.
- Ride with traffic, not against traffic.
- Don’t text and drive!
- Watch for pedestrians. Give them plenty of room.
- Be careful before opening your car door. Check for oncoming vehicles.
- When on the freeway, watch for other vehicles at onramps and offramps.
- Watch for Animals and pedestrians at night. They may not be easy to see.